IV Upgrade Project
From Aradindae Dragon & Wiltshire Dragon comes the ultimate upgrade for
Ultima IV, adding 256 color graphics and MIDI support to the
original RPG classic. You may switch the graphics between new and old at
will. Screenshots appear at the bottom of this
Upgrades Ultima IV to 256 color
graphics with MIDI support. The patch replaces the tileset, font, game, and cutscene graphics, as well
as correcting several conversation bugs within the original .TLK files.
Adds command keys to Reload the last saved game and Exit to the OS.
Can I Use These Graphics
For My Own Project?
Yes, provided that you understand you
may be sharing the base tile set with other developers. Download links are
What You Need
You must have the game Ultima IV from
Origin Systems, Inc. running under Windows 95 or higher. The patched
version will not run in straight DOS.
- Download the U4UPGRAD.ZIP file (632,072 bytes).
- Unzip to your Ultima IV directory.
- Run SETUP.BAT
- Run Ultima IV as you normally would, enjoying the new graphics and
- Three icon files are available for your Ultima shortcuts.
Use with xu4 - Ultima IV
Follow this process if the patch
doesn't work or you have general trouble running Ultima IV on a modern PC.
- Download and install XU4 from
- Download the U4UPGRAD.ZIP file (632,072 bytes) from this
- Place 'U4UPGRAD.ZIP' into the xu4 directory. Do NOT unzip!
- Enable VGA graphics within the options menu in xu4.
The Ultima IV Music Machine
Customize the music you hear in the
patched version of Ultima IV.
(Patch version 1.2 or greater)
- Download the U4XMI.ZIP file (121,223 bytes).
- Unzip to any directory (the Ultima IV game directory works).
- Copy any midi file you want to use into the same directory.
- Run 'U4XMI.EXE' to create a custom music file from the midi files.
- Please see 'U4XMI.txt' for program instructions and midi file
If you are upgrading from the original
16 color Ultima IV Graphics Pack, you must not run PARTY.EXE.
It is no longer supported and may corrupt the new graphic files. I am exploring
new party icon-switching options.
thanks for the server space!
changing the way I think about computer games... and life.
Frank Wolter) has created some cool Ultima Icons, one of which he
gave us to include in this patch. Check out his icon
page, where the collection is available as
Version 1.3, of March 9th, 2001